Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 19, 2015

Feature Artist for Make It Masculine - Welcome Anne!

Hello Everyone!

Pamellia here and I am so excited to be here today to introduce you to our surprise guest for June. I have been following this talented lady for quite some time, and it is always such a wonderful learning experience every time I visit her blog. She is the master of texture and her ideas are so original and unique, you can't help but leave a better artist than when you arrived! I do hope you will all join me in welcoming the extremely talented Anne of Redanne!!

***
Hello, my name is Anne (of Redanne) and I would like to say a huge thank you to the wonderfully talented Pamellia for asking me to be part of her exciting new Challenge Blog. I feel so honoured to be taking part with such a talented team of designers!


I was inspired by Cec's challenge theme - Make it Masculine - as I usually find it hard to make things for men, but with mixed media there are no real rules, which is quite liberating, so I just went with the flow and created a little project to show you.


My lovely DH keeps his keys to his 'shed' and other areas on a nail so I decided to create a proper holder for him using some of my favourite products and techniques.


I started with a 5 inch square deep canvas and coated this with my current favourite paints DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics in Titan Buff and Medium Grey.  I painted them on and then spritzed them with water to move them around and create a random background.


I then mixed some DecoArt Crackle Paste with some English Red Oxide (about 80 / 20 mix) but I did not mix it fully as I wanted some areas to be darker than others.  Using a Wendy Vecchi brick stencil I covered the canvas completely, matching up the top and sides.  It take a little patience to match it up perfectly but it is worth it in the end!


When you use crackle paste to do the bricks they look much more realistic than a flat paste, but as an alternative you could use a textured sand paste and achieve a similar effect.


The cardboard cogs were coated with Texture Sand Paste and left to dry naturally.  You can use a heat tool but it does cause the paste to bubble and I did not want that look this time.


The next bit is my favourite.  I coated each of the cogs with Paynes Grey Fluid Acrylic and allowed this to dry.  The paste has given a lovely texture already and dabbing the paint on gives even more.  I then applied Quinacridone Gold which is a lovely rusty colour.  Once dry I covered the cogs in an 'Andy Skinner Dirty Wash' (70% Quinacridone Gold, 30% Paynes Grey and thinned with DecoArt Ultra Matte Varnish).  If you make it up in a little pot with a good lid, it will keep for a few weeks.


As a final step I added a few little dabs of Cobalt Teal Hue Media Fluid.  For the finished piece I did add some metal cogs, some chain for the top and some brass cup hooks for the keys to hand from.  These were treated in exactly the same way as the cardboard but without the Texture Sand Paste.


You can see a better view of the cup hooks in the picture above.  The letters are from Tim Holtz Idea-ology range and have been coated in the 'Dirty Wash' mixture.


A view from the side to show the 'brickwork'. 

I hope, as Cec asks in her challenge, you feel inspired to make a mixed media card or other project for a fellow in your life!

A little bit about me....

I have been crafting in some form or other all my life but as a wife and working mum this was put on hold for a long time.  After contracting a serious illness about eight years ago I had to take early retirement and the rest is history!  I love all forms of craft, from sewing and knitting to mixed media and my particular love which is working in 3D.  I am so fortunate to be on a few design teams which allow me to explore and experiment with lots of different mediums and styles - some of which challenge me enormously, but I love every minute of it! 

I have met some of THE nicest people in blogland, many in real life, it is such a wonderful, supportive, hugely inspiring and such a friendly place to be.  Thank you once again to Pamellia and to Cec for letting me be a part of this wonderful new challenge blog.

***

HOLY WOWSERS, isn't that awesome! I was just blown away by the incredible textures that Anne achieved and wasn't her tutorial just to die for! That brickwork looks so real, and those gears look greasy and grungy, how amazing is that! Thank you so much Anne, for spending the day with us today and for the wonderful inspiration you have provided to us all. It has been an honour to have you here with us.

I hope that seeing Anne's incredible creation will inspire you to join us for Cec's current challenge MAKE IT MASCULINE!

You have until the 4th of July to play - and you'll find all the challenge details as well as lots of inspiration from the brilliant Anything But Cute design team by clicking on the challenge link.

Happy Crafting
Pamellia!

85 comments:

  1. Thank you so much again Pamellia, it was a pleasure to create something for you and your talented team of artists and thank you to Cec for inspiring me to make a 'manly' project too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just so cool Anne. You never cease to amaze and inspire {{Hugs}} xxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mo, you are so kind! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  2. Wow Anne, it doesn't matter how many times I see your project, I am still blown away!! Your textures looks so real, I keep zooming in to double check that you didn't use actual old card parts!! I have put all the ingredients for that Dirty Wash on my wish list by the way!! You really went all out for us with your amazing creation and I thank you so much for agreeing to be our Feature Artist! You have inspired us all with your talent and creativity! Big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and your team Pamellia, it was my pleasure entirely! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see Anne over here and I've now got some great tips re the brick wall trick!
    Fab make, congrats alround ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, I am pleased you found it useful! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  4. It's a great pleasure and honor to see the super talented Anne, here with us today! Absolutely fantastic masculine project! I am going to try that 'Dirty Wash' mixture right away :) What a realistic look of your cogs and gears and your bricked background is perfect! I am totally blown away by this amazing project!
    Thank you so much, Anne, for being with us today!
    Hugs!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Branka - thank you! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  5. you've done it again Anne....another masterpiece with lots of fabulous texture...thank you for a great tutorial xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great key holder!!! Love those gears!!! What a treat to have you over at Anything But Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samra, the gears were such fun to do. Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  7. Anyone would be thrilled to have this INCREDIBLE key holder on their wall Anne. Those bricks are SPECTACULAR. Thanks bunches for such a FABULOUS tutorial and inspiring project. j.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joi, so pleased that you like it! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  8. How lovely to see Anne here, what a great guest designer. Those bricks are awesome..they are so realistic. I have not had the chance to try the media range, they look fab products. More for my wish list. What a fab key holder x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, if you do try out the media range, I am sure you will be just as hooked as I am! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  9. What a superb masculine make Anne. Loved every brick here and those gears look so real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Rupa, I am so pleased you like it... Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  10. What a magnificent Manly piece Anne. The textures are so well finished and the Rusty cogs are fabulous. Another great project. Hugs Rita xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my dear friend! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, so glad you like it! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  12. Absolutely brilliant Anne!!! I KNOW he'll love this incredibly beautiful and practical gift and as ever your eye for detail and clever use of design and texture shine through. Huge congratulations on this well deserved spotlight. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you Jenny, you are always so supportive and I appreciate it so much! He does love it... Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  13. Congratulations to Anne for being featured and congratulations to you Pamellia for the new challenge blog and for the fact that Anne said yes!! Her work is stellar and extraordinary time after time! Her DH must be over the moon with this very hunky and manly place to hang his keys!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so kind to me Darnell, thank you. Pamellia is my heroine, she has done an amazing job with this new challenge. And yes, David just loves it! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  14. Happy to see you here, Anne! Beautiful make for a Man and a fantastic wall background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lys, I am happy to be here too! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  15. Hi Anne and congratulations on your guest spot. What a fantastic and practical idea. The brick work is truly amazing and so authentic and I just know what patience it took to line up all this bricks , but I can tell you wholeheartedly that it was worth every minute. Love the textural cogs, well I am a texture gal at heart how could I not love them, just like I love your gift to your hubby. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you like it Tracy, good job I am a patient person! Thanks for your visit and lovely comment. Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  16. Awesome sauce Anne! So happy to see you over here and sharing your lovely, gifts and talents with us at Anything But Cute! This is a stellar design and textured dream! Wowzers! That brick is superbly done and so authentic. Those textures just beg to be touched. Your DH will be thrilled with this excellent creation! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much Niki, DH was thrilled with it and I am pleased to say it has pride of place now. Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  17. WOW! This is stunning Anne. Your design is outstanding, the bricks look so realistic!
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Sue! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  18. Anne is definitely a huge talent and we are so lucky to get her tutorial for this piece.
    Absolutely wonderful!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you Sandy, you are so kind! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  19. What a brilliant guest post, Anne - an amazing grungy textured creation - perfect for the masculine theme, and useful into the bargain. Adore your crackled bricks and rusty cogs - fantastic work!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, I know how busy you are, I appreciate your comment! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  20. Stunning masculine project Anne, congrats on being GD with Pamellia's team.
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. absolutely awesome Anne - love this to pieces - big hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, so pleased you like it! Big hugs back, Anne xx

      Delete
  22. Anne, it is such a pleasure to see you and your lovely masculine make here! What a wonderful gift you have made for your husband; useful (always a big plus in my book) and oh, so textural-y grungy! I love what you have done with both the wall and the cogs, and it is a real treat to have you share your process with us! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara, I was thrilled to be asked and it was a complete pleasure to make something using Cec's theme! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  23. Wow! What a beautiful creation and that brick work is soooo authentic! Great cogs too, look like real rust lol!
    Thank you for the inspiration

    Love & hugs
    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacquie, I am so pleased that you like it, hope you will give it a try! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  24. Oh Anne, this is fabulous!! Love the brick background, it looks so real with the crackle paste and the rusting effect on the cogs and hooks is brilliant too. The best bit is that it is useful!! I bet David will treasure it, no more lost keys, - such a cool project, LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear Astrid and yes, David does love it! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  25. Yahoo! Congrats Anne! So well deserved! Your project is amazing! Love the brick background and all the rusty, crusty gears! What a great home decor piece! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled that you like it Mona, thanks so much! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  26. This is terrific with amazing techniques-thank you for sharing them

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrissie, it was my pleasure to share the project. Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  27. Wow!! I am blown away by your creation!! I can't get over how REAL those bricks look!! I'm going to have to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased that you like it Ros, thanks so much for your comment! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  28. a terrific project - awesome techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You do everything just so perfectly Anne, this is uber Brilliant! Truly! Terrific tutorial too. You are really doing superb work with all the Decoart products. David must be thrilled with this, lucky him and his art adorned shed! No excuse for losing keys now! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so, so much Nicola, I love the DecoArt Media line, it is fantastic to work with . David does love it, thankfully! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anne you make this look so easy and the outcome is very professional. I hope to learn your techniques one day as I admire them so much. This is so realistic and I love brick, I know weird. lol
    Hugs Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kelly! You really should try it, it really is easy and you will love the outcome. Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  33. Oh! My! Giddy Aunt!! Anne your project is truly AMAZING I love. Love, love the textures you have achieved on this.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you Patricia, I am so pleased that you like it! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great masculine project Anne! love how you have the bricks go around the edges - and they DO look just like real bricks - absolutely LOVE the rusted look of the gears - and wonderfully artistic place for DH to hang his keys! I bet he loves it!! Congrats on being guest DT here !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia, the rust is so easy to do with the DecoArt products - and yes, he does love it! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  36. Just amazing Anne - so sorry I'm late in getting here! I love the brick background and seeing you use your decoart products to create this just offers up more mojo! The gears look to real and what a perfect functional use!! Hugs, Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time Georgie, I know you are one busy lady! I am totally in love with the Decoart products... Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  37. Now only do I love the brick work and gear action, but what a most brilliant idea for a key hanger! This is a wonderful textural project! Congratulations on your GDT spot which of course is so deserved! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so kind to me Terry, thank you so much! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  38. Anne, this is brilliant. The brickwork is so realistic and the gear transformation is fabulous. This is a great masculine piece with a great use. So glad you were able to share this with us.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all thanks to your inspiration Cec, I find male things quite hard but I really enjoyed the challenge of making this! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  39. What a fabulous idea Anne and David will love it..............the brick and cog details are amazing. Lovely to see you here as GDT

    Huge Hugs
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Annie, I appreciate you taking the time! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  40. Congratulations Anne on being asked to be featured artist - so greatly deserved! Your brick wall key holder , correction - Davids Brick wall key holder is absolutely Incredible! As always you have created a piece that is not only visually impressive but also practical n is created n finished off with real professionalism . You sure can work those Deco Art products - both the brick wall n gears are so authentic n I have to agree your patience really has paid off . Thank you so much for your excellent tutorial n your endless inspiration Anne . You Rock !! Hugs Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you Amanda, you are always so kind with your comments and I truly do appreciate it! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  41. Wow Anne, this is truly inspired...the brick wall looks so real..and the cogs too...amazing! Hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, I appreciate you taking the time to visit! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
  42. Congratulations, Anne, on this feature. Love your beautiful mixed media key holder, especially the funky wall you've created behind the gears.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you Marjie! I am so pleased you liked it! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Replies
    1. Thank you Mayoori Jain! Hugs, Anne xx

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete